SmokeLong Quarterly was established in 2003 by Dave Clapper. Past editors-in-chief have been Randall Brown, Tara Laskowski and Beth Thomas. The current editor-in-chief and publisher is Christopher Allen. All other editors are associate, freelance editors or volunteers. Our senior editors–and many of our submissions editors–offer editing services privately. We encourage you to seek them out.
We are dedicated to bringing the best flash narratives to the web quarterly, whether written by widely published authors or those new to the craft.
The term “smoke-long” comes anecdotally from the Chinese, who noted that reading a piece of flash takes about the same length of time as smoking a cigarette. SmokeLong Quarterly does not encourage smoking.
- We publish flash narratives that are 1000 words or fewer. Our word limit is firm.
- General submissions are open 365 days a year, except during some competitions.
- We never charge reading fees for general submissions, although you may voluntarily donate through the tip jar feature. While your generosity is very much appreciated, it will not affect our decision on your story. We offer paid feedback options through Submittable.
- SmokeLong stories have been recognized by the Pushcart Prize, Best of the Web, Best of the Net, The Best Small Fictions, and the wigleaf Top50. They have also been anthologized in places such as Norton’s Flash Fiction America, Flash Fiction International and Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader: Flush Fiction.
- We offer a variety of mentorships, workshops, and webinars including SmokeLong Fitness, the year-round community workshop of SmokeLong. If you would like to be on our mailing list to receive workshop information, please send an email to email@example.com.
- Occasionally, we invite creative writing classes to read our submissions queue for one week.
- We support worthy causes when we see them. Please have a look at our We Support page. These organizations do good things.
- We run the following competitions: The SmokeLong Quarterly Award for Flash Fiction (The Smokey), The SmokeLong Grand Micro Competition (The Mikey), The SmokeLong Quarterly Prize for Comedy and The SmokeLong Workshop Prize.