SmokeLong Quarterly was established in 2003 by our founder Dave Clapper.
We are dedicated to bringing the best flash fiction to the web on a quarterly basis, whether written by widely published authors or those new to the craft.
The term “smoke-long” comes from the Chinese, who noted that reading a piece of flash takes about the same length of time as smoking a cigarette. All the work we publish is precisely that—about a smoke long.
- We publish flash fiction that is 1000 words or less.
- Submissions are open 365 days a year.
- We never charge reading fees.
- SmokeLong stories have been recognized by the Pushcart Prize, Best of the Web, Best Small Fictions, and Wigleaf Top 50. They have also been anthologized in places such as Norton’s Flash Fiction International and Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader: Flush Fiction.
- When funding permits, we host a Kathy Fish Fellow and writer-in-residence for emerging writers.