SmokeLong Quarterly was established in 2003 by our founder Dave Clapper.
We are dedicated to bringing the best flash fiction to the web on a quarterly basis, whether written by widely published authors or those new to the craft.
The term “smoke-long” comes from the Chinese, who noted that reading a piece of flash takes about the same length of time as smoking a cigarette. SmokeLong Quarterly does not condone smoking, but we do enthusiastically condone reading flash fiction.
- We publish flash fiction that is 1000 words or fewer.
- Submissions are open 365 days a year.
- We never charge reading fees.
- SmokeLong stories have been recognized by the Pushcart Prize, Best of the Web, Best of the Net, Best Small Fictions, and Wigleaf Top 50. They have also been anthologized in places such as Norton’s Flash Fiction International and Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader: Flush Fiction.
- Every two years we host The SmokeLong Flash Fellowship for Emerging Writers.
- Every two years we run The SmokeLong Quarterly Award for Flash Fiction (The Smokey).