The SmokeLong Flash Fellowship for Emerging Writers
The SmokeLong Flash Fellowship for Emerging Writers (formerly the Kathy Fish Fellowship) is an award and year-long virtual residency for new and emerging writers.
The winner of the 2020 Fellowship will be considered a virtual “writer in residence” at SmokeLong for four quarterly issues (March, June, September, and December 2020). Each issue will include one flash by the Fellowship winner.
The winner of the Fellowship will also receive $1000.00, to be paid as follows: $200.00 on announcement of the winner, and $200.00 upon publication of a story in each of the four issues in 2020.
The Fellow will participate in online writing workshops, workshopping three flash stories each quarter, with the goal of creating a robust flash portfolio by the end of the year. The Fellow will also get an inside look at the editing process, reading and voting on submissions and acting as a guest editor for one week during their residency. We are seeking a writer who is eager to work on their craft and excited about the idea of working with a journal and being an active participant in our little editorial family.
Writers who do not have a published chapbook or book-length work in any genre (or are not under contract for such) are eligible to apply. NEW THIS YEAR: Former contributors to SmokeLong are eligible to apply for the fellowship, as long as they meet the other guidelines. We particularly encourage marginalized and diverse voices, such as writers of color, writers from the LGBTQ+ community and writers with disabilities. Following are the guidelines for application and the terms of the award:
Writers are eligible who:
- do not have a chapbook or a book-length work published, self-published, or under contract, in ANY genre
- are 18 years or older
Applications should be submitted under the SmokeLong Flash Fellowship Applications category on Submittable starting Aug. 5. In the title box, please write: “2020 Fellowship Application.” In the cover letter/bio field, please include your name and a short bio. Do not put your name anywhere else in the application document. If your name appears anywhere else, we will have to disqualify your application.
Answer the required questions within the word count limit.
Upload your fiction samples in ONE document, double-spaced (no funky fonts or styles, please) with the following guidelines:
- Three samples of your flash fiction (each story must be 1000 words or fewer).
- Please include word count after the title of each story.
- You may include one previously published sample (from a venue other than SmokeLong) if you wish, but the other samples must be previously unpublished. (NOTE: We strongly suggest that you not submit your unpublished samples elsewhere during the time your application is under review with us. Should they be accepted at another journal, you will have to withdraw your entire fellowship application from consideration. Due to the blind review process, we cannot substitute story samples within applications.)
- Please indicate if a sample is previously published, but DO NOT include the title or date of the publication.
- The writing samples should, as a whole, best reflect your ability, style(s), etc. Show us who you are as a writer through these samples.
The application fee is $8. For writers who cannot afford an application fee, there is a free submission option in Submittable. All applications, regardless of which submission option you choose, will be treated equally.
Applications are closed.
Previous SmokeLong Quarterly Fellows
2018: Tochukwu Emmanuel Okafor
2017: Allison Pinkerton
2016: Shasta Grant
2009: Tara Laskowski
2008: Stefanie Freele
2007: Beth Thomas